For internet entrepreneurs and bloggers, Squidoo.com is an excellent tool that you can utilize to promote your website, your business and yourself. Created by marketing genius Seth Godin, Squidoo is a social media website that allows its members to create informational pages or “lenses” on topics that they are interested in or knowledgeable about. It’s free to use and members can create one (or as many as they want) on any topic of their choosing.
Squidoo also allows its members to receive royalties on the lenses they create or donate them to charity. Currently, there are lenses covering everything from “Travel” to “Politics” and many more topics in between. The process of creating a lens is very simple and there are plenty of add-ons or modules that can be used to enhance a lens such as discussion questions, polls, favorite link lists, YouTube videos, quotes, lists of products from Amazon that relate to your topic, Wikipedia articles and countdown clocks, to name a few.
How Can Squidoo Help You to Market Your Online Business?
If you have an online business, you can use your Squidoo lens to showcase your core competency that relates to your business. For example if you’re a fitness equipment site, create a lens on how to lose weight without joining a gym. We created a lens on resources for entrepreneurs. What kind of lens can you create that will showcase your expertise? If readers find your lens valuable enough, it in return will drive traffic to your site.
How Can I Market My Squidoo Lens?
The more popular your Squidoo lens is among members and readers, the more your website will benefit from increased awareness and traffic. The following is a list of 10 tips to drive more viewers to your Squidoo lenses:
1. Visit Squidoo lenses that are similar to your own in content and provide your comments. Lens authors and readers that are intrigued by your comments will go to your profile and view your lenses and the websites that you link to.
2. When you create a new lens, or update a lens significantly, send an update email to your friends/mailing list and your fans (people who tagged your page as a favorite). This will create a steady flow of traffic to your lens.
3. Take advantage of the social media aspect of Squidoo. Join groups that interest you or that contain lenses similar to yours in topic to gain more visibility and network with other experts in your industry or area of expertise.
4. Add links in your lens to other lenses that are popular or similar to your own. Send an email to other lens authors asking their permission to link to them. Most of the time these authors will link you back to you.
5. Update your lens often to increase your rank. When members search for your topic on Squidoo, your lens will be in the top results displayed if you have a higher lens rank. Even a slight change to your lens, such as editing one paragraph or republishing your lens, is counted as an update.
6. Use social bookmarking tools on your lens. Visit www.addthis.com for a free button that you can add onto your lens that will allow readers to bookmark your lens through sites such as Digg and Technorati.
7. If you have multiple lenses, link your lenses to each other. This is especially effective if the topics are very similar (your lenses are automatically linked via your lensmaster profile page, but you can make the connections more explicit in the lenses themselves). Also, you can link to your lenses from other pages you might have, like ezine pages or blogs.
8. Actively rate lenses that you think are superior. Add a text module near the top of your lens and make a request to readers to rate your lens as well – the higher your lens is rated, the higher your lens rank.
9. Create a new lens whenever you post a new blog entry. Use your new blog entries to create new lenses. As a Squidoo member, it is in your benefit to create a large number of lenses. You may turn into a Giant Squid (subject to review by Seth Godin and Megan –editors of Squidoo), you’ll get much more visibility, increased page ranks and more credibility on the content of your lenses.
10. Start an argument or debate on your lens. This is a great way to ensure that readers will return to your lens. Simply add on the debate module that Squidoo provides and be sure to include a debate-worthy topic of discussion.
We hope these tips are helpful for those entrepreneurs looking to use your Squidoo pages to market your website or business.